Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This was originally my grampa's perogie recipe but I've always known my mom to make them. Simply the best. Once you've tried these, you'll never want store brand again!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
Cheese or potato filling
- 500 ml dry curd cottage cheese or 4 medium potatoes, mashed
- 1 egg
- In a bowl mix together the filling ingredients, add salt, pepper, and dill to taste, then set off to side(if making cheese filling, exclude adding the potatoes, vice versa). you could also put saskatoon berries in the middle instead of potato or cheese fillings, then when cooked sprinkle with sugar for a nice snack/dessert.
- Melt margarine in milk until it comes to a simmer, and pour into flour and salt.
- Mix together until clumpy then kneed with hands until smooth(dough will be hot so be careful!).
- Cut in half and put one half off to the side covered with a tea towel.
- Roll other half into a 1 inch rope and cut into 3/4" pieces.
- Roll flat and put a bit of filling in the middle, but be careful not to get filling on your fingers or along the edges or else dough will not stick.
- Lay on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and place in freezer until frozen, then move into plastic bags.