Recipe by Katie Z
I got this recipe from the Taste of Thai website, for use with their Peanut Sauce Mix, and have modified it a bit. It is so good - even my husband will eat tofu if we make this!
Top Review by Rei-chan
What a tasty meal! And it was so easy to make. However, I am not a big fan of tomatoes (and I couldn't envision them with peanut and orange flavors), so I substituted chopped figs. Yum! Also, my supermarket only carries peanut sauce, not the mix. Since it didn't soak up any of the OJ, I added some corn starch to thicken the sauce. I'll definately try this one again - perhaps I'll use dates next time! :-)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 bunch scallion
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packet peanut sauce mix
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain tofu. Cut the block into smaller sections, and press out the excess water by placing a double layer of paper towel both underneath and above.
- Cut the tofu sections into bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high.
- Add the tofu, making sure that they are in a single layer with some room in between. If you need to, do this in two or more batches. Sear the tofu and cook until golden brown on both top and bottom (don't flip until golden!).
- Drain the pieces on a paper towel, removing as much excess oil as you can.
- While tofu is browning, chop up the scallions. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the darkest green for garnish.
- After tofu is finished, add another teaspoon of oil if necessary and saute the scallions 1-2 minutes. Add the orange juice and peanut sauce mix and bring it all to a boil. Then simmer for another minute.
- Add tofu and tomatoes, shirring to coat with sauce and heat through.
- Best served over jasmine rice or rice noodles. We have used both and it is excellent!