Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
In ‘The Ski House Cookbook’
- 4 (8 ounce) filet mignon steaks or 4 (8 ounce) New York strip steaks
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 large shallot, minced (or 2 T minced onion)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Take the meat out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before you plan on cooking it to let it come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large heavy ovenproof skillet over high heat.
- Season the meat generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to the pan and heat until shimmering.
- Add the steaks to the skillet and sear for 3 minutes, or until browned.
- Top each with a sprig of rosemary, if desired, flip, and then transfer the pan to the oven for 5-7 minutes for medium rare.
- Transfer the steaks to a plate and let rest while you prepare the sauce.
- Return the skillet to med-high heat.
- Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vinegar and scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits.
- When the vinegar is evaporated, add the broth and allow the sauce to boil until it reduces to a glaze, about 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the butter, stirring to combine.
- Spoon the sauce over the steaks and serve immediately.