1/1 Photo of Pan-Grilled Steak (Biftek à La Parrilla)
This recipe is from Shirley Lomax Brooks's book Argentina Cooks! Steak is at its best when it is well marbled. Cuts such as beef filet, New York steak, porterhouse, or T-bone are recommended. Prep time includes time for marinating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Marinate the steaks in olive oil for at least 30 minutes.
- 2Drain off the oil — leaving a light film of oil on the steaks — and salt the steaks on both sides.
- 3Heat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over a high setting.
- 4When hot add the steaks and char on one side.
- 5Turn the heat down to medium and continue cooking for about 3 minutes for medium rare.
- 6Turn the steaks with tongs and turn up the heat to high.
- 7Be careful not to cut into the steaks while turning so that you don't lose any of the juices.
- 8Sear the second side of the steaks, then turn the heat to medium and cook for another 3 minutes to medium rare.
- 9Add 2 to 3 minutes per side for well-done steaks.
- 11If using an electric oven broiler, char one side of the steaks on a high broil on a preheated broiler pan with the rack as close as possible to the broiler element.
- 12When browned, turn steaks with tongs and brown the other side.
- 13Total cooking time with this method is about 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- 14Less time is required for gas broilers and outdoor charcoal barbecues.
- 15If using the latter, char meat directly on a rack over very hot coals on the hottest part of the barbecue, then move the meat to a cooler area of the rack over the drip pan leaving the barbecue lid open about one inch.
- 16Return the meat to the hotter area to char the second side and then move it back over the drip pan.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Grilled Steak (Biftek à La Parrilla)
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.6
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3488.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: