Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Spinach with curd cheese and tomatoes.
- 4 bunches fresh spinach
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot
- 6 -8 ounces panir (curd cheese)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 8 tablespoons whole milk or 8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) or 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- Chop spinach well. Add water, and cook on medium high heat for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain in a colander.
- Steam tomatoes on high heat for about 5-7 minutes, until the skin cracks and they are blanched. Chop into quarters, or to preferred size.
- Seed and finely chop green chile pepper. Finely chop ginger root, and add to chopped chile pepper.
- Pour ghee or oil into pan on high heat. Add asafoetida, then add chopped ginger and chile mix. Reduce heat to medium. Add paprika, cumin, turmeric, coriander, and garam masala. Stir well for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach, then add tomatoes, and stir well. Cook on medium to medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Chop panir (curd cheese) into small cubes, to preferred size.
- Add water, if needed, to prevent sticking. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir well. Add panir, then simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add whole milk or heavy cream. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Serve with rice or flatbread such as naan or chapati (roti).