Recipe by Vino Girl
From Cooking Light, June 2006.
Top Review by Little_Sister
Was really surprised at how tasty this was out of the oven. Only had half and half on hand so used that instead of buttermilk. In addition to the ingredients listed I added a bit of garlic powder to the cornmeal. Mixed the meal mixture in a gallon size Ziploc bag. Tossed the okra around until well coated. From there I followed the recipe almost as written except for after baking 20 minutes and then flipping the okra around a bit (found this easier to do by hand) I cooked for 10 more minutes then turned the oven off until ready to serve, about 15 more minutes. They were crispy and delicious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch slices (about 3 cups)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Combine cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a shallow dish; set aside.
- Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add okra; toss to coat.
- Let stand 3 minutes.
- Dredge okra in cornmeal mixture.
- Place okra on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Lightly coat okra with cooking spray.
- Bake 40 minutes, stirring once.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.