Recipe by Miss Annie
A fast and healthier way to serve Chimichangas than the traditional deep fried. These are very good, and you may dress them up to you own preference. I like to serve with green chile sauce sometimes instead of the picante sauce.
Top Review by Lance and Genna
We live in New Mexico and I can definitely say that these are restaurant quality chimichangas! Everything turned out wonderful. I added a roma tomato to the mixture as well as some garlic salt and pepper. These are so good that we agreed to put them on our weekly menu!
- 2⁄3 cup picante sauce or 2⁄3 cup your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped with some tops (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- chopped green onion, for serving
- picante sauce, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix chicken, picante sauce or salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold opposite sides over filling.
- Roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Brush with melted margarine.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with additional cheese and green onion and serve salsa on the side.