Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an adopted recipe. When it gets colder I look forward to trying it and adding any thoughts. Looks healthy and good, though.
- 1⁄2 cup split peas
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- Rinse and drain split peas and lentils.
- In a Dutch oven, combine peas, lentils, broth, carrot, celery, red pepper, onion, bay leaf, cumin, and pepper.
- Bake uncovered, in a 350 degree oven, about 2 hours or until lentils and split peas are tender.
- Check seasoning and add salt& pepper if necessary Remove bay leaf.
- Place in soup bowls and top each serving with yogurt and cucumber.
- Serves four.
This soup is DELICIOUS!! I did not add the topping because I prefer just the soup by itself. I also omitted the cumin because I am not a fan of that particular seasoning, but wow, this was delicous and hearty. I have made 2 batches already, I can't get enough of it. I did add a bit of diced potatoes and I might try adding a touch more broth (maybe 3/4 cup) because I like a bit more 'soupiness' to my split pea soup, rather than more of a porridge type. Thanks for a wonderful recipe. So easy in my dutch oven--no boiling or soaking, just throw it in there and let it cook. Smelled wonderful too!
This is a very good winter day soup. this is my second time making it. Very good and easy to make. This is a keeper. Thx for posting
What a perfect cold-weather soup! I appreciated how easy it was to throw together, and it's healthy, too. I think this would be good in slow-cooker, too. Thanks for sharing!