I got this recipe from an Italian cooking magazine. The real name of the recipe is: "BRUSCHETTONI FILANTI ALLE ZUCCHINE" More than a bruschetta it is French toasts layered with zucchini, baked. It is a nice and easy side dish plus another great way of using those summer zucchini. I'm posting the recipe as it shows on the magazine although I think next time I will sprinkle it with some Parmesan cheese before baking it. The layers of zucchini and bread should be vertical, not one on top of the other one like a lasagna. Please look at the picture.
- Wash zucchini, cut into thin slices and toss in a large nonstick skillet with the garlic and olive oil.
- After a couple of minutes, add salt, pepper and flavor with half of the chopped mint and parsley.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with a whisk, add the cream, a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper and dip the slices of bread, one by one.
- Arrange the slices of bread in a buttered pan; spread over a few tablespoons of zucchini.
- Continue layering until you run out the ingredients.
- Cook the bruschettoni in oven at 180 for 25 minutes, or until they are golden on the surface.
- Remove from the oven and before serving, sprinkle with the remaining chopped herbs and a little of hot pepper flakes.