Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a copy-cat recipe for the delicious bread they serve at the restaurant.
Make and share this Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Place all of the ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed, and process on dough setting. The dough will be a little on the wet side and sticky but if it seems too wet, add more flour. When dough is done, let it rise for 1 hour.
- Remove from pan, punch down, and divide into 8 portions. Form portions into tubular shaped loaves about 6-8 inches long, and 2 inches wide.
- Sprinkle the entire surface of the loaves with cornmeal, and place them on 2 cookie sheets. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degreees for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped butter.
- Note: This recipe is best when prepared by these instructions.
- Deviate at your own risk.
This recipe worked well in my bread machine. It was too messy for hand kneading. I also agreed that best to follow the instruction for the perfect bread. I tried making a whole loaf and it didn't work. I probably need to increase the temperature and baking time for making whole loaf.
This did taste a lot like the bread at Outback. I tried just making it the whole way in the bread-maker, and had to cook it extra, so it's probably better to follow the directions.
My husband requested I make this again and I realized I had not reviewed the recipe yet! I did cut the coffee to 1 1/2 tsp as per another reviewer. I had no caramel coloring but the color was beautiful without. I also let my bread machine do it's thing and the loaf was big! Today I'll split into two loaves so it'll fit in the toaster. We loved the color, taste and especially the texture of this bread. It's the first wheat bread recipe that we really enjoy. Thanks for a great recipe.