Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a copy-cat recipe for the delicious bread they serve at the restaurant.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon caramel coloring
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal, for dusting
- Place all of the ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed, and process on dough setting. The dough will be a little on the wet side and sticky but if it seems too wet, add more flour. When dough is done, let it rise for 1 hour.
- Remove from pan, punch down, and divide into 8 portions. Form portions into tubular shaped loaves about 6-8 inches long, and 2 inches wide.
- Sprinkle the entire surface of the loaves with cornmeal, and place them on 2 cookie sheets. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degreees for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped butter.
- Note: This recipe is best when prepared by these instructions.
- Deviate at your own risk.
I made this recipe with my kitchenaid standmixer and I actually needed to add a little extra water. I put everything in the mixer except the water and yeast first. Combined these ingredients and then added a full tablespoon of yeast which I proofed in the water. I mixed it with my bread hook attachment. I made as directed otherwise and it was very yummy.
This recipe worked well in my bread machine. It was too messy for hand kneading. I also agreed that best to follow the instruction for the perfect bread. I tried making a whole loaf and it didn't work. I probably need to increase the temperature and baking time for making whole loaf.
This did taste a lot like the bread at Outback. I tried just making it the whole way in the bread-maker, and had to cook it extra, so it's probably better to follow the directions.