Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Buttery egg delight. Based on the recipe of the surrealist painter Francois Picabia, to be found in the Alice B Toklas Cook Book, near the recipe for Hashish Cookies. Not for people on a diet.
- 12 egg yolks (Get only the yolks from a dozen eggs.)
- 1⁄2 lb butter (Cut a half a pound of butter into smitherings)
- Mix the yolks with a fork over the lowest possible heat, while adding the smidgens and smitherings of butter, so that the eggs do not cook, but the butter melts.
- Picabia thought that this concoction was a study in texture.
- I had to get rid of it, so I put it into a slow oven for 15 minutes.
- What came out was a delicious egg sponge.
- Very fat with cholesterol, but dressed with maybe strawberry jam, food to die for!
- Stir the yolks.
- Heat them on the lowest possible level, while adding the smidgens of butter, so that the butter melts, but the eggs do not cook.
- This is what the great surrealist painter Picabia called a study in texture.
- If, like me, you find it revolting.
- put the glop in a baking dish.
- setting your oven to about 325 for ten or fifteen minutes, and you will have lots of calories and cholesterol, and utter delectation (a dab of strawberry jam would zap the zap): Egg Sponge!