Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My dd's favourite salad from Epicurious. Modified.
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta
- 1⁄3 cup chopped drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped kalamata olive
- 1 cup finely chopped radicchio
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Cook orzo in pot of boiling salted water until just tender.
- Drain well.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, oil, vinegar and olives and toss to blend.
- Let stand until cool. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.).
- Mix chopped radicchio, pine nuts, chopped basil, and garlic into orzo mixture.
- Season salad to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
I changed this a little but I think it was close enough to be able to judge...I left out the sun dried tomatoes because I'm the only one who likes them...I used a can of fire roasted tomatoes with garlic in stead...I also addedd some diced mozarella cheese and used arugula rather than radicchio...no pine nuts either...i also added a jar of artichoke hearts and a can of chic peas...this is also great for leftovers as it sits well over night...actually, it was still good 2 days later...I'll be making this often...fresh tomatoes will be great in the summer as other cheeses like feta...I thought if you wanted to add a meat to it diced steak or roast beef or a salami or pepperoni would be yummy as would diced chicken or turkey...ham, prociutto or even bacon may be good too...there are so many things you can do with this great salad I will enjoy experimenting...oh, it helps that its a quick and easy one dish meal...thanks for posting