Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my partner's recipe for asian-style chicken pieces. An East-meets-West recipe, thanks to the inclusion of tomato ketchup.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 kg chicken piece (wings, thighs, drumsticks, any mixture of these will do)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, preferably with your hands.
- You could cook immediately, but if possible leave to marinate overnight for a more developed flavour.
- Before cooking, preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place chicken peices on an oven tray.
- Place tray in oven, reducing temperature to 180°C.
- Brush the chicken occasionally using the remaining marinade, throughout the cooking period. The chicken will be cooked after around 40-50 minutes.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and juices from the tray.