Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Altho' a bit putzy to make, they are definitely worth the effort! The burst of citrus is a surprise; change the extract and have a whole 'nuther flavor. Credit goes to Reiman's *Best of Country Cooking 2003* for the original recipe. HEADS-UP: Cooking time includes CHILLING time.
- Place 1 cup, plus 2 T. choco chips in blender; process about 30 seconds (some of the chips won't pulverize).
- In a small bowl, zap cream and butter on high in microwave until ALMOST boiling.
- While blender is running, GRADUALLY pour in hot liquid AND EXTRACT over choco chips--steady stream, continue processing until smooth.
- Pour out of blender into bowl; chill for 20-30 minutes (firm); roll into 1-inch balls; set aside.
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
- In microwave, zap shortening & remaining choco chips for 1 minute, stir; then in 10-second intervals until melted; stir until smooth.
- Dip truffle balls into chocolate; place on waxed paper to harden.
- In a zippered baggie, melt vanilla chips for 15 seconds, squeeze to smooth; continue at 5-second intervals.
- With a very sharp scissors, cut a small hole in one corner of the bag. Drizzle elegantly over truffles.
- Store in covered container, refrigerated.