Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
You may use a bag of baby carrots in place of sliced, and the spices may be adjusted to taste, if I am serving these to guests I go the extra step of drying all the cooked carrots with paper towels to make certain they are extra dry so the coating will stick to them and not become thin, if you are serving a large dinner party you might want to double the recipe, for an extra kick add in a very small pinch cayenne pepper --- these are very good!
- In a medium saucepan cook the carrots in boiling water or steam them until crisp-tender (about 8-9 minutes, for whole baby carrots increase the cooking time) drain and set aside.
- At this point you may cook dry them with paper towels if desired.
- In the same saucepan combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, orange juice, ginger, nutmeg and black pepper; bring to a boil over medium-low heat stirring until thickened.
- Return the carrots to the saucepan and toss until heated through and coated.
- Season with salt if desired.
These were good. What I really liked about the recipe is that is does not have butter in it. I just can't bring myself to add butter to my veggies. Easy to make although I did have problems with the cornstarch clumping, next time ill make a slurry first.
this was made and enjoyed by all at our holiday dinner table, these carrots are outstanding, thank you Kitty for making my Christmas dinner such a success with your wonderful recipes.
great way to eat carrots