1/3 Photos of Orange Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Avalanche
1 hr 30 mins
------It doesn't get any easier than this! Roasted chicken complete with loads of fresh vegetables. Serve with fresh bread for a complete meal. Developed for RSC #9.------
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 celery rib, cut in thirds
- 2 sprigs rosemary, 4 inch
- 2 medium oranges
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 fennel bulb, stems attached
- 2 medium potatoes, 1 pound
- 1 medium sweet potato, 8 oz
- 3 carrots
- 1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups white pearl onions, peeled
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels, place in shallow roasting pan.
- 3Roll oranges on counter top to soften, juice oranges and measure 2/3 cup of fresh orange juice; reserve.
- 4Rub the outside of the chicken with a juiced orange half, discarding the orange when through; salt and pepper the chicken inside and out.
- 5Place the garlic, celery, and rosemary in the cavity of the chicken along with half of a juiced orange.
- 6Trim the top off the fennel bulb and place one stem with leaves intact in the cavity of the chicken.
- 7Remove any tough outer leaves from the fennel bulb; cut bulb into half then into fourths lengthwise and cut fourths in half; wash under running water.
- 8Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks, placing in a bowl of cold water to prevent discoloration.
- 9Scrub carrots and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- 10Trim the ends off the brussel sprouts, wash removing any discolored outside leaves and with a sharp knife score each end with an "X".
- 11Drain the potatoes and combine all the vegetables; place around the chicken.
- 12Pour orange juice over the chicken, then the melted butter.
- 13Pour the chicken stock over the cut vegetables.
- 14Place pan in preheated oven and roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until chicken registers an internal temperature of 180 degrees through thickest part of thigh at joint with a meat thermometer.
- 15Baste the chicken and vegetables every 20 to 30 minutes with pan drippings.
- 16Remove chicken from pan and place on serving platter, cover and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving.
- 17Remove vegetables to a serving bowl and strain pan drippings.
- 18Serve the chicken and vegetables topped with pan drippings if desired.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Avalanche
Serving Size: 1 (656 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1131.4
- Calories from Fat 593
- Total Fat 65.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 284.4 mg
- Sodium 518.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 73.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: