Recipe by PaulaG
------It doesn't get any easier than this! Roasted chicken complete with loads of fresh vegetables. Serve with fresh bread for a complete meal. Developed for RSC #9.------
Top Review by tigerduck
My friend and I loved this roasted chicken, but I do agree with Zurie that to give it 5 stars in a contest it was not quite perfect and unique enough. I also agree that the soy sauce could have been used in this recipe as well. However, in contrast to Zurie I had lots of juice in the pan which was great. I did not use the brussels sprout because I don't like it, but used more of the other vegetables. Thank you for creating this recipe. It made a lovely dinner.
- 1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 celery rib, cut in thirds
- 2 sprigs rosemary, 4 inch
- 2 medium oranges
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 fennel bulb, stems attached
- 2 medium potatoes, 1 pound
- 1 medium sweet potato, 8 oz
- 3 carrots
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1 1⁄2 cups white pearl onions, peeled
- 1 cup chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels, place in shallow roasting pan.
- Roll oranges on counter top to soften, juice oranges and measure 2/3 cup of fresh orange juice; reserve.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with a juiced orange half, discarding the orange when through; salt and pepper the chicken inside and out.
- Place the garlic, celery, and rosemary in the cavity of the chicken along with half of a juiced orange.
- Trim the top off the fennel bulb and place one stem with leaves intact in the cavity of the chicken.
- Remove any tough outer leaves from the fennel bulb; cut bulb into half then into fourths lengthwise and cut fourths in half; wash under running water.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks, placing in a bowl of cold water to prevent discoloration.
- Scrub carrots and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Trim the ends off the brussel sprouts, wash removing any discolored outside leaves and with a sharp knife score each end with an "X".
- Drain the potatoes and combine all the vegetables; place around the chicken.
- Pour orange juice over the chicken, then the melted butter.
- Pour the chicken stock over the cut vegetables.
- Place pan in preheated oven and roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until chicken registers an internal temperature of 180 degrees through thickest part of thigh at joint with a meat thermometer.
- Baste the chicken and vegetables every 20 to 30 minutes with pan drippings.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on serving platter, cover and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving.
- Remove vegetables to a serving bowl and strain pan drippings.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables topped with pan drippings if desired.