Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From my first Betty Crocker's Cookbook (1971), a recipe made every Christmas, and delicious anytime of the year.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (approximately 6 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and slice potatoes about 1 inch thick. Arrange in lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- In small saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt and orange peel.
- Slowly stir orange juice into the sugar mixture.
- Add butter. Cook stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Boil and stir about 1 minute.
- Pour hot orange sauce over sweet potatoes. Cover and bake 1 hour, basting occasionally.
- Note: During Christmas I often bake the potatoes and prepare the sauce ahead of time. I then reheat the sauce, assemble and bake for about 30 minutes at 350F until heated through. Can be topped with marshmallows if desired.