Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe that I adopted and I have made a couple of changes on it per Dreamgoddess' suggestions. I am putting the celery as an optional item, and making a note to use crushed pineapple in case you can't find the mandarin oranges with pineapple.
- 6 slices ham, Fully Cooked (Slice of Ham should be cut into 3/4-inch chunks.)
- 2 stalks celery (Celery should be cut into 1/2-inch chunks on a slant cut (bias) (optional)
- 11 ounces mandarin orange sections (Mandarin Oranges should contain pineapple also, if not use 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a 1 1/2-quart casserole microwave ham, celery, 1 T water, covered, on 100% power for 3 to 4 minutes or till heated through.
- Drain orange sections with pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup liquid.
- In a 1-cup measure stir together cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Stir into reserved liquid.
- Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100% power for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or till thickened and bubbly, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Drain liquid off ham and celery mixture.
- Stir in thickened mixture.
- Stir in orange sections with pineapple.
- Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100% power about 1 1/2 minutes or till heated through.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
I made this as part of our Adopted/Unreviewed Recipe Swap. I prepared the glaze on top of the stove, poured it over the ham slices and baked at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. I couldn't find any mandarin oranges that had pineapple in it, so I added in an 8oz can of crushed pineapple. We didn't think the flavor of the celery blended very well with the oranges and pineapple. I think omitting the celery will definitely make this a 5 star recipe. The glaze thickened up nicely and the entire recipe was done very quickly. This is a good recipe for nights when you need dinner in a hurry.