Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This chicken is sweet and spicy. The 20-minute brine in the OJ, salt and red pepper flakes keep the chicken moist as it cooks. It's lip-smacking good and goes great with green beans. If 1/2 cup of hot sauce is too much for you (in the sauce) just add less.
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup hot sauce
- Whisk together the orange juice, salt and red pepper flakes in a large bowl until most of the salt has dissolved. Add the chicken pieces, making sure they are completely covered by the liquid. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set up your grill for indirect cooking. Combine the ketchup, marmalade and hot sauce to taste in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade; discard the liquid. Place the chicken on the grill, making sure it is not over direct heat. Cover the grill; cook the chicken, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Pour about 2/3 of the ketchup/marinade mixture in a bowl; use this to brush chicken during the last 5 minutes of cooking, discarding any sauce that's left. To serve, drizzle the cooked chicken pieces with the remaining reserved glaze.
SO EASY and very tasty. Was afraid to put in the whole tsp of pepper flakes and hot sauce but it was perfect. Only had 1/4 c ketchup and it tasted great. Were in a hurry so we used boneless thin cut chicken breast slices and they were perfectly done and supurb with a little extra sauce spooned on top. Will post a picture when we make this again.