Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 oranges, rind of, grated
- coarse sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a mixing bowl and stir well with a fork to blend.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy and then beat in molasses,egg and orange rind.
- Beat in the dry ingredients in 3 parts, beating well after each addition,forming a stiff dough.
- Pull off pieces of dough the size of small walnuts and shape into balls.
- Roll each dough ball in the coarse sugar to coat generously and place the balls on ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart (cookies will flatten as they bake).
- Bake until the edges of the cookies are flattened and nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.