Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
These are very pretty cookies.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange peel, finely grated, plus
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- red food coloring (optional)
- yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) container vanilla frosting
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- Beat butter and 1 cup powdered sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Add egg, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1 1/2 tablespoon orange peel, vanilla, lemon juice and orange extract; beat until well blended. Gradually stir in flour mixture; mix well.
- Shape dough into 2 logs about 2 inches in diameter on lightly floured work surface.
- Wrap each log tightly in waxed paper. Refrigerate logs 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease cookie sheets.
- Cut logs into 1/4-inch thick slices; place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 minutes or until lightly brown around edges. Let cookies cool 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoon orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange peel in medium bowl; beat until blended. Add a few drops red and yellow food coloring mix until orange color. Glaze tops of cookies; let stand 1 hour or until glaze is set.
- Frost half of cookie bottoms with vanilla frosting; place second cookie on frosting to make a sandwich cookie.