Prep 25 mins
Cook 11 mins
Yummy, you have to taste this one!
- 1 medium orange
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar substitute
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Juice and grate the rind of the Orange; remove seeds from the juice.
- Cream together the Shortening and Sugar Replacement.
- Add Egg, Orange Juice and Grated Orange Rind, beating until light and fluffy.
- Combine Flour, Baking Powder, Soda and Salt in sifter, and add alternately with Buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- Stir to blend.
- Drop by teaspoons onto lightly greased cookie sheets, 2-3 in.
- Bake at 350* for 10-12 minutes.
I was disappointed in the flavor. I thought that they would have a lot of orange taste and would be sweet. They weren't. However, it does have possibilities. I am going to play with this recipe and maybe double the oranges and the sweetner to see if I can produce what I was expecting when I tried this one.
I've really been craving cookies since starting my diet, and these helped. I added the juice of 2 oranges and that helped a lot! Great recipe!
Your correct, these are diabetic cookies and I have not ran into many of these types of recipes that were REALLY sweet, as I know sweet. However thank you for your comment and rating.