Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Oprah's famous "unfried chicken" recipe from personal chef Rosie's cookbook. Very tasty, low fat substitute for the Colonel's. 1
- 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 6 skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 1⁄2 cups ice water
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup dried Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove skin from chicken pieces.
- Place all chicken pieces in a large bowl with the ice water.
- Put yogurt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
- Combine all breading ingredients in a large, tight-sealing bag.
- Shake to mix.
- Remove two pieces of the chicken from the ice water.
- Roll each piece in yogurt.
- Put chicken in plastic bag with the breading mix.
- Seal and shake, coating each piece thoroughly.
- Place on oiled baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Spray chicken lightly with vegetable oil.
- Place baking sheet on bottom of the preheated 400°F oven.
- Bake for 1 hour, turning pieces over every 20 minutes for even browning.
I did this with chicken wings and it was really good. The smell while cooking was incredible. Do be generous with the spray on cooking oil.
i've tried this before and it's usually quite good. I had to substitute crushed saltine crackers as all my breadcrumbs were stale and i couldn't be bothered cleaning the blender, but it was still tasty, and the technique is great. I baked it on parchment paper and sprayed the tops but the coating still slipped off a few pieces. Rosie must have a trick she's not sharing?
My family loves this recipe. It comes out really well if you bake it on a silicone baking pad like a Silpat. Also, spray the top of the chicken well so it will be browned.