Recipe by Vino Girl
From Cooking Light, August 2006.
Top Review by smilingrock7
HAVE NOT MADE IT YET BECAUSE: I would like to know if there are any genuine Felafel recipes. I see plenty of fancy recipes with unrelated ingredients, but what I am looking for is a plain and simple traditional Felafel recipe. Kind of surprised something like that was not the first recipe on the list of five.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 6 mini pita pockets (about 5 inches wide)
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced peeled cucumbers
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- SAUCE: Combine the sauce ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth.
- PATTIES: Combine all patty ingredients except the oil and bread crumbs in a food processor, and process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Place bean mixture in a large bowl; stir in 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- Divide bean mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dredge patties in breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 3 patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and patties.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Warm mini pitas according to package directions.
- Place 1 pita on each of 6 plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup lettuce, 1/3 cup tomato, 1/3 cup cucumber, and 4 teaspoons onion.
- Drizzle each serving with about 3 tablespoons sauce; top each serving with 1 patty.