This recipe, created by Rosemary Leicht of Bethel, Ohio, was named grand champion at the 2013 National Festival of Breads. While Rosemary calls for the dough to be made in a food processor, it's fine to make it by hand or in a stand mixer instead. This will make 4 lg cracker breads of 8 servings each. Total time to make is about 1.5 hrs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup warm water (100 - 110 degrees F)
- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast (1 pkg)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling dough
- 1/2 cup medium rye flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water, at room temperature (80 degrees F)
- 2 -4 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1Place the kneading blade in an 8-cup food processor bowl. Add 1/3 cup warm water, yeast and honey; pulse a few times. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 2Add the flours, olive oil, salt, 1/3 cup water, and onion. Pulse 3 to 4 times to mix; process 1 minute. The dough should form a ball around the blade. If additional water or flour is needed, add by the tablespoon.
- 3Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease the surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- 4Arrange the oven racks so one's at the top, and one's at the bottom. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 5Divide the dough into four equal balls. Working with one ball at a time, roll the dough into a 12" to 13" circle. Place each circle on a large piece of parchment paper.
- 6Roll the remaining dough into 12" to 13" circles, placing each on a sheet of parchment paper. Dust any remaining flour off the circles with a pastry brush; if you don't, the surface will become gummy when you brush on the egg white, reducing the crispness.
- 7Allow the circles to rest for 5 minutes. Brush some of the beaten egg white on each circle; sprinkle each with ¼ of the cheese.
- 8Slide one dough circle with its parchment onto a large baking sheet; repeat with a second dough circle on another baking sheet.
- 9Place one baking sheet on the oven's top rack, the other baking sheet on the bottom rack.
- 10Bake the breads for 4 to 5 minutes, then reverse the baking sheets top to bottom and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes. The dough should puff up in places, and turn golden.
- 11Remove the baking sheets from the oven, and slide the breads off the parchment onto a rack to cool.
- 12Repeat with the remaining two pieces of dough. Note: These last two breads may bake more quickly, as the sheets are hot; so watch carefully.
- 13Break the cracker breads into pieces to serve; or place in an airtight container to store.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Parmesan Cracker Bread
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 34.9
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 79.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.1 g