This is a popular dish in North India, and is quick, easy and fuss free. Everyone has their own way of doing it, and this is the way i do it. When i am exhausted and too tired to do much else, i make this dish. Other people use a lesser amont of lentil to rice, but i use a 50/50 cos thats the way my husband likes it, moist. Some people prefer it drier. The choice is yours. You can also vary the type of rice and split lentil you use, but then cooking times will vary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup basmati rice (white)
- 1/2 cup mung beans (yellow split variety)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1 red chili (optional)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped (frozen or fresh, use firm veggies only like carrots, peas, greenbeans) (optional)
- 1 potato, quartered (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1Wash mung and rice together in a few changes of water. Place in pressure cooker.
- 2Put sufficient water in the pressure cooker, in my cooker i use 2 cups of water for the 1/2 cups rice and 1/2 cup mung).
- 3Put all other ingredients in, except for cumin, ghee, chillies and asafetida.
- 4Cook for 3 whistles (roughly 5 minutes after cooker has gained full pressure).
- 5Let it cool down, and you can do this by running the closed cooker under cold water to facilitate faster cooling.
- 6Heat ghee in pan, add chilli and cumin and asafetida, fry for a few seconds and mix into khichdi.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for One Pot Vegan/Vegetarian Rice and Lentils Dish - Khichdi
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.4
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 21.8 mg
- Sodium 791.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: