Recipe by littleturtle
Tasty and good for an energy boost. Goes nicely with a glass of milk. These soft, moist bars are a great snack and kids love 'em.
Top Review by diannakearney
This recipe is not a winner at my house. It was difficult to follow (it lists a cup of flour at the top and then another 1/2 cup at the bottom). The ingredients are listed in an odd manner - make sure and cream the sugar, butter, vanilla, and spices before adding the flour, raisins, and oatmeal or it will be too clumpy to mix. I had to add another egg to make it moist enough to spread into the pan. The bars came out rather dry. I won't make them again.
- 1 cup raisins (chopped will make the bars easier to cut) or 1 cup dates, whole or chopped (chopped will make the bars easier to cut)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup shortening (or unsalted butter, softened)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda (1/2 tsp at high altitude)
- 1⁄3 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour or 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine raisins with water, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add oats and all other remaining ingredients; blend, then beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Spread evenly in greased 13x9" pan, and bake at 350F (375 at high altitude) until top springs back when touched lightly in the center (15-20 minutes).