Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was passed down to me from my grandmother. When I was a child she would ask what I wanted for dinner and I almost always said meatloaf. She would always let me do the finishing touch...adding the tomato sauce. The ingredients are few, so it is easy and simple to do...no fancy stuff, and no need to run to the store at the last minute.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1 egg
- 20 -25 saltines
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Crumble ground beef into a bowl and salt and pepper it to taste.
- Add the diced onion, egg, 1/8 to 1/4 of a cup of the tomato sauce, and the saltine crackers. Start with a few saltines at a time and continue adding until you get the desired firm, but moist consistency.
- Getting it too firm will keep it from being moist.
- Form into a loaf, place in a baking dish with a lid, then top with enough tomato sauce to cover the top and sides of the loaf.
- Cover, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Baking time will vary depending on your oven.