1/1 Photo of Ol' Fashion Egg Coffee
REAL brewed coffee is almost a thing of the past. My Dad used to make this regularly. He was a hired farm hand in the 1930's & 40's, until he met my Mother. He learned how to make "Egg Coffee" from one of the lady's he worked for & he then passed it down to me. The egg takes away any bitterness. Use an old 12 cup porcelian coffee pot...remove the stem & basket, if they're there. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at a flea market for just a few dollars. It's a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of how to brew it, you might not go back to your drip-coffeemaker!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fill the coffee pot with fresh, cold water, to just a bit obove the bottom of the spout.
- 2Bring to a rolling boil.
- 3Meantime, mix the coffee & the egg, INCLUDING the SHELL, in a small bowl.
- 4When water comes to a boil, reduce heat until water is just boiling.
- 5Add coffee/egg mixture to the water, stirring CONSTANTLY & adjust the heat so as NOT to boil over!
- 6Now here's the tricky part -- stirring constantly, brew for about 3-5 minutes, until the "froth" disappears -- you can almost "feel" the water change.
- 7Remove from the heat & pour in about 1 to 1 ½ cups COLD water & let set for 5-10 minutes -- this will make the grounds settle to the bottom.
- 8There will be some grounds in the spout -- just pour them off.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ol' Fashion Egg Coffee
Serving Size: 1 (11 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6.2
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 5.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.5 g