Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is a very popular Ukrainian dish which originated from Russia.
Make and share this Okroshka (Ukrainian Version) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs sausages
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 2 radishes, diced
- 4 potatoes, boiled diced
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 small carrot, boiled diced
- 1 bunch baby dill, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream (garnish)
- 1 liter buttermilk or 1 (9 ounce) jar mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- Boil the chicken breast. Drain and chill the chicken. Reserve the chicken stock and chill.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs. Remove the egg yolk and dice the egg white. Combine the egg yolk with some mayonnaise/buttermilk to make a paste.
- Chopped the green onions green part only. Sprinkle with some salt and mash with a fork to remove the sharpness from the green onions.
- Dice the cooled chicken breasts.
- Combine all the chopped vegetables. Toss the vegetables to mix well.
- Blend in the mayonnaise/buttermilk egg yolk mixture.
- Add the chopped chicken and toss. Add more mayonnaise or buttermilk to taste.
- Add the cooled chicken broth. Add more cold water if needed as it has to be soupy.
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon to the soup. Stir then refrigerate the soup for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- When ready to serve, toast some bread and flavour the bread by rubbing a garlic clove over the toasted bread. Serve the Okroshka with the toasted bread and a dollop of sour cream. Okroshka can be kept in the refrigerator to up to 3 days.