Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is a very popular Ukrainian dish which originated from Russia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs sausages
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 2 radishes, diced
- 4 potatoes, boiled diced
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 small carrot, boiled diced
- 1 bunch baby dill, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream (garnish)
- 1 liter buttermilk or 1 (9 ounce) jar mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- 1Boil the chicken breast. Drain and chill the chicken. Reserve the chicken stock and chill.
- 2Peel the hard boiled eggs. Remove the egg yolk and dice the egg white. Combine the egg yolk with some mayonnaise/buttermilk to make a paste.
- 3Chopped the green onions green part only. Sprinkle with some salt and mash with a fork to remove the sharpness from the green onions.
- 4Dice the cooled chicken breasts.
- 5Combine all the chopped vegetables. Toss the vegetables to mix well.
- 6Blend in the mayonnaise/buttermilk egg yolk mixture.
- 7Add the chopped chicken and toss. Add more mayonnaise or buttermilk to taste.
- 8Add the cooled chicken broth. Add more cold water if needed as it has to be soupy.
- 9Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon to the soup. Stir then refrigerate the soup for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- 10When ready to serve, toast some bread and flavour the bread by rubbing a garlic clove over the toasted bread. Serve the Okroshka with the toasted bread and a dollop of sour cream. Okroshka can be kept in the refrigerator to up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Okroshka (Ukrainian Version)
Serving Size: 1 (686 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 922.9
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 465.1 mg
- Sodium 580.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 72.4 g