This is an often requested recipe that is easy to make and delicious to eat. Prepare it for your next potluck or bake sale.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups margarine or 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease 13x9 inch pan.
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture, about 3 cups, in bottom of greased pan.
- Reserve remaining crumb mixture for topping.
- Bake at 350* for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl combine caramel topping and 3 tbls.
- flour; set aside.
- Sprinkle warm crust with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set.
- Cut into bars.
I've made these several times. I have tried variations on the main idea: Peanut Butter and jelly bars with fruit ice cream topping and melted peanut butter in place of the carmel and choc chips; and a oatmeal scotchy version with carmel butterscotch topping amd 1/2 butterscotch chips 1/2 heath toffee chips. I've also substituted some of the butter for yogurt. Seems to be an almost fail proof recipe!
this was a hit at a party. my kids loved it.
Absolutely nummy!!! I will definitely be making these again. These would be great for a potluck or bake sale.