Light Low-Fat Oatmeal Carmelitas (Half Whole Wheat)
photo by I Cant Believe Its
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar (See Note Above)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup reduced fat margarine, softened (Non Hydrogenated, NO LESS THAN ( 35 calories, 4 grams fat, and 0.5 grams sat. fat PER 2 tsp.)
- 5 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce
- butterscotch extract, to taste (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup caramel topping (I use smuckers fat-free)
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts or 3 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
- Heat oven to 350F, and grease 8x8 inch pan.
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture into the bottom of the greased pan, reserving the remaining crumb mixture for topping.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in smaller bowl combine caramel topping and 5 teaspoons flour then set aside.
- Sprinkle warm crust with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over chocolate and nuts, then sprinkle overtop with reserved crumb mixture.
- Put back in oven and bake an additional 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Refrigerate 1 1/2-2 hours or until filling is set, and serve at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!