Recipe by brokenburner
Fat-free, sugar-free, low-calorie, AND vegan!! This recipe came about when I was looking for something a little different to do with some apple pie filling, and for a sugar-free muffin recipe that didn't have any added artificial sweeteners. (Yes, the pie filling is sweetened with Splenda, but that wouldn't affect the texture of the final product the way adding Splenda would.) I used a kitchen scissors to chop the apple slices from the pie filling into smaller pieces. Try to get all of the "goo" from the pie filling in there, too -- don't just throw it out! If you overmix, it will probably be tough; that's why I chose to mix it by hand, though of course you could use an electric mixer if you prefer. I used a jumbo-sized muffin pan, and I got six nice-sized muffins -- for less than 150 calories each!
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml oat bran (hot cereal)
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 0.25 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sugar-free apple pie filling, apples chopped (half of a 20-oz can)
- 118.29 ml apple juice
- 118.29 ml applesauce (one 4-oz container)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the first eight ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes.