Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This appetizer comes out of the 500 ALL-TIME GREAT RECIPES cookbook, recently sent to me by my partner in the current Cookbook Swap! Preparation time does not include the time needed to chill the balls before serving.
- 1 cup low-fat cheese (such as Quark)
- 1⁄2 cup dolcelatte (a cheese)
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon gherkin, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brandy (optional)
- 1 pinch paprika
- 6 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Beat soft cheese & dolcelatte together using a spoon, until smooth.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients, except chopped walnuts, stirring well to combine.
- Divide mixture into as few as 12 pieces or as many as 24, depending on the side of balls you would like to serve.
- Roll each piece into balls, then roll each ball gently into chopped walnuts.
- Chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour before serving.
WELL...DH is enjoying this right now as I write the review! This recipe came out very nice despite my substitution of mascarpone for the quark (couldn't find "quark" at my Whole Foods grocery - even asked the 2 'cheese guys') and used toasted pecans instead of walnuts. Skipped the brandy (out of it) and I used smoked paprika to give the mix a little bit of smokey flavor. I mixed it all together, chilled for 30 minutes and split it between two chilled bowls. Layered the pecans on top and served. DH said it was delicious. So glad I tried this recipe - THANKS Sydney Mike for a keeper. Made for My 3 Chefs, Fall 2008 :)