Recipe by Sydney Mike
This appetizer comes out of the 500 ALL-TIME GREAT RECIPES cookbook, recently sent to me by my partner in the current Cookbook Swap! Preparation time does not include the time needed to chill the balls before serving.
Top Review by kitty.rock
WELL...DH is enjoying this right now as I write the review! This recipe came out very nice despite my substitution of mascarpone for the quark (couldn't find "quark" at my Whole Foods grocery - even asked the 2 'cheese guys') and used toasted pecans instead of walnuts. Skipped the brandy (out of it) and I used smoked paprika to give the mix a little bit of smokey flavor. I mixed it all together, chilled for 30 minutes and split it between two chilled bowls. Layered the pecans on top and served. DH said it was delicious. So glad I tried this recipe - THANKS Sydney Mike for a keeper. Made for My 3 Chefs, Fall 2008 :)
- 1 cup low-fat cheese (such as Quark)
- 1⁄2 cup dolcelatte (a cheese)
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon gherkin, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brandy (optional)
- 1 pinch paprika
- 6 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat soft cheese & dolcelatte together using a spoon, until smooth.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients, except chopped walnuts, stirring well to combine.
- Divide mixture into as few as 12 pieces or as many as 24, depending on the side of balls you would like to serve.
- Roll each piece into balls, then roll each ball gently into chopped walnuts.
- Chill in refrigerator at least 1 hour before serving.