Recipe by 3KillerBs
16 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child my CNM gave me this recipe for a nutritional drink. I always found that I could get it down even when I had morning sickness and I credit it for my kids' great health even when I was so queasy I could eat almost nothing. The CNM recommended whole milk because the fat in the milk improves the absorption of the calcium and other nutrients. I usually left out the fruit because sweet things made me queasy.
- 10 -12 ounces milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (the yellow, flake-type yeast, not the brewers yeast)
- 1 -2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, active culture preferred (optional)
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ (optional)
- 1⁄2 bananas (optional) or 1⁄2 peach, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth. (If you aren't using the fruit you can just stir it up with a spoon).
- Both nutritional yeast and blackstrap molasses are strong flavors. If you aren't accustomed to them use less at first and increase the strength a little at a time as you get used to them.
- If you can't drink it all at once it will keep in the fridge all day -- just stir it up again as needed.