Recipe by Renate
Hubby used to disappear into the woods and bring something home and announce "This is supper, ok?" Being a novice in the kitchen and a big city gal at the same time, I deviced this one. Been using this recipe ever since (38 years now). I serve this with Fried Potatoes.
- 1 nutria or 1 squirrels or 1 hares
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening or 1⁄4 cup bacon grease
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint meat stock, about
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the water, lemon juice and salt.
- Soak meat for 1 to 2 hours, removes some of the game flavor (also a good soak for fish).
- Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge meat to coat on all sides.
- Heat oven to 325ºF.
- Heat grease in a heavy skillet.
- Fry meat 3 minutes on all sides and transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the remaining flour mix to the leftover grease and brown lightly.
- Transfer this mix to the baking dish.
- Pour the stock into baking dish and bake for 1 1/2 hour.
- Keep an eye on the moisture, the flour will make a gravy, and you may have to add more liquid.