Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The basis for Vietnamese soups and other dishes
- 5 lbs roasting chickens, cut up
- 2 lbs chicken bones
- 4 quarts cold water
- 1 ounce fresh gingerroot, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Discard the fat from the chicken.
- Rinse chicken and bones with cold water and place in stockpot.
- Add the water and ginger; bring to boil. (If needed skim foam from surface until it stops forming.).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours. (Make sure it does NOT boil again just simmers.).
- Remove Chicken and bones; then add the salt and set aside to cool; strain broth.
- Refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze if desired.
- Skim fat from top if it congeals.