Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another sweet treat with the added benefit of being 'no-bake' (there IS melting of some ingredients on your stovetop, though)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 32 large marshmallows
- 4 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, shredded
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Grease one 8" square cake pan or casserole dish.
- In a dutch oven, melt the butter; then add the marshmallows and melt them over low heat, stirring as it melts until you have a smooth mixture.
- Remove from heat and add the cereal, peanuts and coconut, stirring until the mixture is completely covered with the melted marshmallows.
- With buttered hands, press the cereal mixture into the greased cake pan.
- Spread the melted chocolate chips over the cereal mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour; then cut into bars and serve.
- NOTE: the 'cook' time covers the chilling time and the 'prep time covers everything else.
- Suggestions: swap out the peanuts for another kind, like almonds or macadamia; use a different crunchy cereal like Kix or Cocoa Puffs, etc; swap out the chocolate chips for a different flavor like butterscotch, peanut butter or mint chocolate.