Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Tasty macaroni, made with strong cheddar for extra zip! Great comfort food. Tastes best if topping is allowed to go "crunchy" and brown.
- Boil macaroni, do not overcook, should still be slightly firm.
- Drain pasta, mix in butter and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 to 2 cups shredded cheese, depending on how cheesy you like it.
- Add full can of stewed tomatoes, do not drain.
- Put into a greased casserole dish that has a cover.
- Cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, with the cover on, remove cover and bake another 45 minutes or until cheese is brown and crunchy.
I just made this for dinner, and it was wonderful! It is very close if not the same as my great granny used to make for every holiday dinner or family. I ended up using twice as much cheese as in the recipe but that may just be me :) The only other thing I did different, is I didn't leave it uncovered for 45 minutes, only about 20 minutes. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! well i wanted to add that since i have made this without doubling the cheese, and it was actually better. the first time around witht the extra cheese it was very good, but there was a lot of oil if the bottom of the casserole dish. who knew that sometimes more cheese isn't always better :)
Unexciting to eat.
I made this last weekend exactly as written using orange coloured old cheddar and spiral pasta. DH told me not to lose this recipe. That makes it a winner for me. Thankyou for posting