Recipe by cabinetstew
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. The best of a sloppy joe sandwich- without the mess! EASY and made as a casserole with Simply Potatoes mashed on top instead of on buns. Serves a lot on a budget and gluten free too!
- 2 (24 ounce) packages Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can sloppy joe sandwich sauce (I like Hunt's Thick and Chunky)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground pork or ground turkey)
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (could be all red, all green or mix)
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Begin browning the meat in a large saute pan on med-high heat. Add diced peppers after meat has been cooking for several minutes. Cook until there is no more pink in the meat. Turn heat to low and add can of sloppy joe sauce. Mix thoroughly and let it heat through. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Take off heat and pour into a large (3qt) casserole dish. (could be a shallow (9x13) or deep - depends if you want thick layer of potatoes).
- Bake for 30 minutes and cool slightly before serving.