Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious receipe from one of the Moosewood cook books.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups vegetable stock, hot
- 225 g prawns, shelled pre-cooked or 250 g tofu, cubed
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 100 g almonds, flaked and toasted
- salt and pepper
- parsley, fresh chopped
- lemon wedge
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add the peppers, scallions, garlic, coriander, turmeric and cayenne. Saute over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the stock or water. Add the shrimp or tofu and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until the shrimp is pink. Stir in the peas and cook for another minute.
- Mix in the couscous and butter or margarine. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, and using a fork, fluff up the couscous and break up any lumps.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a platter, topped with toasted almonds, parsley and lemon wedges.
This has been a family favorite for years. We always make it with shrimp and it is a crowd pleaser. It is quick to make...don't be intimidated by the spices...the best part is having your whole meal in one dish. Savory, yummy and easy!
My sister made this for my mom, who is vegetarian. It was an instant hit. Even my very picky 16 year old grandson was raVing about it!!