1/4 Photos of Nordstrom's Tomato Basil Soup, Small Batch
1 hr 10 mins
If you don't want to make many gallons of this soup, here's a version scaled down for the home cook, adapted from Serious Eats. I use Mexican crema instead of cream, tempered with a bit of the hot soup before adding. Make sure to use dried basil, it won't work well at all with fresh because of the cooking time. Although this allegedly makes 4 servings, I got 6 generous bowls of soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add carrot and onion and cook until beginning to soften, 10 minutes, then add basil and cook until vegetables are completely soft, about 5 minutes more.
- 2Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
- 3Allow the soup to cool somewhat, then purée until smooth in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender. Strain the purée before returning to the pot for a smoother texture.
- 4Add cream or tempered crema little by little over over low heat until desired texture is reached. Do not boil it! Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nordstrom's Tomato Basil Soup, Small Batch
Serving Size: 1 (544 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 829.6
- Calories from Fat 617
- Total Fat 68.5 g
- Saturated Fat 31.2 g
- Cholesterol 170.2 mg
- Sodium 470.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 14.9 g