Recipe by Galley Wench
These are the instructions on how to make the best hard rolls/buns from Artisan Boule Bread. Mix up the dough at least 24 hours before you want to make the rolls. I bake mine in english muffin rings, however they can also be made in a muffin-top pan or free formed into minature boules. The ingredients for Artisan Boule Bread is included to help calculate the nutritional contents of the rolls, please go to the recipe for the instructions to mix up the dough. The beauty of this recipe is you can make as many rolls/buns needed!
- 340.19 g bottle beer, room temperature lager such as Budweiser (Note Water can be substitued however it will somewhat effect the flavor)
- 354.88 ml water, warm approximately 100 degrees
- 14.79 ml white vinegar
- 22.18 ml instant yeast
- 22.18 ml coarse salt
- 1537.83 ml unsifted unbleached all-purpose flour (29.25 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Refer to Recipe #309834 for insturctions on how to mix up the no-knead dough.
- Line a pizza peel with parchment paper.
- Spray the inside of 4-inch english muffin rings with non-stick cooking spray; and place on the pizza peel.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Lighly dust the surface with flour and cut off a 1 lb. piece of the dough (grapefruit size), this will make approximately 5-6 rolls, depending on the how thick you want them.
- With lightly floured hands quickly shape dough into a ball by streching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go.
- Divide the ball into 5 - 6 roughly equal pieces (about the size of a plum). Shape each into a ball; then flatten out each ball into a circle approximately 3 1/2 inches x 1/2 inch,.
- Place each disk of dough inside of a english muffin ring.
- Cover and allow to rise for 30 - 40 minutes (the shorter the time, the denser the roll).
- While the rolls are rising prepare the oven.
- Place one rack on the bottom shelf with a cast-iron skillet or broiler tray. This will be used to add steam to the oven and make crusty rolls. If you wish soft rolls just skip this step.
- Place the second rack in the middle of the oven with a baking stone.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Just before baking, spray the tops of the dough lightly with water and slash the top of each bun.
- Slide the buns onto the pre-heated baking stone.
- CAREFULLY add 1 cup of lukewarm water to the steamer pan.
- Quickly close the oven door and reduce heat to 425 degree F.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, before removing rings.
- Note: if soft buns are desired, brush the tops with butter.