This is a very easy and quick NO FAT gravy to make. No fuss and you do not have to worry about the gravy going lumpy. I developed this recipe almost 20 years ago using my homemade chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, include liquid
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken soup base
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons instant potato flakes (Idaho)
- In a large frying pan, add broth, mushrooms and liquid and bring to boil.
- Add pepper, garlic powder, chicken soup base, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, stir to blend.
- While still at boil, add potato flakes stirring constantly until gravy thickens to a desired consistency.
- Use additional instant potato flakes if gravy is too thin.
- If gravy gets too thick, add small amounts of water.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If you desire a brown color, add a few drops of (Bovril, beef concentrate).
- This gravy is excellent with roasts or chicken.