Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for tour 2005.
- 2 lbs unsalted butter (butter only)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- In a heavy saucepan, heat butter very slowly over low heat until it has melted completely without any browning. Increase heat and bring melted butter to a boil just until top is covered with foam.
- Stir in onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, clove nutmeg fenugreek seeds and basil. Lower heat to lowest possible setting, and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. A clear layer of liquid will be at the top of the pan, and golden brown solids on the bottom.
- Pour clear liquid into a jar, straining it through several layers of cheesecloth. Discard seasonings and solids. Cover tightly and store in refrigerator, or at room temperature.
Yes! Ghee gives a hint of sweetness to rice and to beans. This recipe makes plenty of ghee and was very simple to make.
Needed this for Yetakelt W'et--and was so happy to find it here. Made a quarter of the recipe--which provided me with the amount I needed for the vegetable stew and filled a small jar which is now in the fridge. The flavor of the stew was spicy and buttery without being greasy or heavy. Thanks, Rita!