Recipe by Nif
YUM, YUM, YUM! And easy too :). The instructions are easier than they look - I was just being specific. This chicken cooks much quicker than a regular whole chicken because of the method that I use. Only 2 ingredients makes this a quick last minute delicious dish. Adjust the amount of rub used according to your own taste; I use 2 tablespoons total. If you don't have rub, you can just use some salt and pepper. The cooking time may vary slightly as not all barbeques cook at the same temperature. Enjoy!
Top Review by Kmac
WINNER ! Thanks for reminding me how much easier it is to butterfly and grill than to rotisserie -- has been years since I did this! Our chicken was almost 5 lbs and so it took longer -- about 40 minutes, after flipping to second side. Will be using this method from now on. No hot kitchen, no rotisserie hassles..
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, whole
- 2 -4 tablespoons dry rub seasonings (use your favourite, mine just so happens to be Nif's Basic Dry BBQ Rub!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat both sides of barbeque to high heat. While it is heating up, prepare chicken:.
- Place whole chicken on a baking sheet, breast side down. With kitchen shears, cut down each side of back bone and discard. Rinse chicken with cool water and place back on baking sheet, again breast side down.
- Sprinkle your desired amount of rub on the inside of the chicken and massage into the meat. Flip over, press the chicken down if it's not laying flat, and repeat the rub. Make sure you have coated the whole chicken.
- On BBQ, turn one side of grill off. Place chicken on the turned off side, breast side down. By doing that, you will get beautiful grill marks without the flare-ups and it will cook in indirect heat. BBQ for 15 minutes.
- Flip over in same area on grill and cook for another 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180°F.
- Remove from grill onto a clean baking sheet or plate. Tent with tin foil for at least 10 minutes before cutting up chicken.