1/23 Photos of New Orleans Double-chocolate Praline-fudge Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe makes an elegant cake that is beautiful garnished with fresh fruit such as strawberries. Despite the lengthy instructions and long list of ingredients, the cake is very easy to prepare and assemble.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Combine butter, cocoa and water in a saucepan.
- 4Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until the mixture is smooth and butter has melted; remove from heat and cool.
- 5Combine the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla; beat on medium speed with a mixer until smooth.
- 6Combine the butter mixture and buttermilk mixture; beat until well blended.
- 7Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a bowl; mix well.
- 8Gradually add the flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture; beat until blended.
- 9The batter should be thin.
- 10Spray three 8" round cake pans with cooking spray and line them with wax paper.
- 11Pour the batter evenly into the pans and bake at 350 degrees for 22-24 minutes or until cake tests for doneness.
- 12Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- 13To assemble the cake:.
- 14Spread 1/2 c ganache between the cake layers; spread the remainder on the sides of the cake and chill for 30 minutes.
- 15Slowly pour the frosting over the center of the cake.
- 16Spread it to the edges of the cake, allowing some frosting to run down the sides.
- 17Chocolate Ganache:.
- 18Microwave the chocolate and cream in a glass bowl for 2-3 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted; whisk until smooth.
- 19Gradually add the butter, whisking until smooth and melted.
- 20Cool, whisking often, until spreading consistency, about 15-20 minutes.
- 21Praline Frosting:.
- 22Combine the butter, brown sugar and whipping cream in a 2 quart saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring often.
- 23Boil 1 min; remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 24Add the pecans and stir gently for 2-5 minutes, or until the frosting begins to cool and thicken slightly.
- 25Pour immediately over the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Double-chocolate Praline-fudge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1194.5
- Calories from Fat 581
- Total Fat 64.6 g
- Saturated Fat 34.4 g
- Cholesterol 167.0 mg
- Sodium 658.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 148.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 115.3 g
- Protein 9.7 g