Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Traditionally served at breakfast. Made with chicory--the root of the plant that produces curly endive. Chicory adds aroma, body, and depth of color. It is sold by some merchants already roasted and ground. You can order it from www.totallynawlins.com or various other on-line vendors.
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground dark-roasted arabica coffee beans (ground as appropriate for your coffee maker)
- 1 tablespoon ground roasted chicory
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, warmed (may use half-and-half or milk)
- sugar (optional)
- Mix the coffee and chicory.
- Using your favorite coffee maker (a manual drip model is traditional in New Orleans), brew the coffee mixture with 1 1/2 cups water heated to the point just below boiling.
- Pour the coffee equally into 3 eight-ounce coffee cups or 2 twelve-ounce coffee cups and fill each with the same amount of cream (the ratio of coffee to cream should be 1:1).
- Serve immediately with sugar, if desired.
What a great way to "come alive" on a Sunday morning! Great flavor. I used half-and-half, and no sugar. Eons ago, in my college days, a roommate used to use French Market chicory coffee and i would have a cup of it now and then. I always liked the slight bitterness of it, but have not had any for years. Thanks for reminding me how much I liked it. I will be having it more often now! Made for Comfort Cafe Summer 2009.