Because I'm a new Mama! These meatballs are fantastic in an Italian red sauce with pasta or on their own. I like the fact that they are made in the oven because it's less of a mess. When my husband has been a very good boy I make him these meatballs. Hope you enjoy. Please let me know. Thanks!
- 1360.77 g ground veal (OR 1 pound each, pork, beef and veal; OR Whatever combination of ground meat you want to use.)
- 59.14 ml minced shallot
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh basil
- 9.85 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground pepper
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs (I used the canned stuff)
- 118.29 ml whole milk
- 78.07 ml grated or powdered parmesan cheese
- You will also need: thin latex gloves (optional).
- Preheat oven to 375, spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Combine meat, shallots, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg, bread crumbs, milk and parmesan in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- I wear thin latex gloves because I can really mix the ingredients and shape the meatballs without getting it under my fingernails.
- Scoop up ¼ cup sized portions and shape into 1/2 inch balls.
- Place meatballs, spaced apart on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until browned and cooked through (160 degrees in centers).
- Do not overcook.
- Add to pasta sauce or sweet and sour sauce or brown gravy.
- Very delicious.
Yep, these were brilliant. I cut out the salt and used home-made breadcrumbs since we're on a low-sodium diet, but the rest of the flavours came through beautifully. Shallots a lovely difference from the onion I usually use. Plus, oven baking like this made for a much lower fat option than the usual pan-frying. Thanks so much!
*Made for PAC Spring '08* Delicious! My family really loved these flavorful meatballs. I used half ground beef and half ground pork. After using a 1/4 cup measure, my meatballs were about 2" in diameter, not 1/2", so I got about 25 meatballs out of this recipe. Because the meatballs were larger, they took about 30 mins. to reach 160 degrees in the center. I served these in pasta sauce with spaghetti noodles. My family loved these and gave them 2-thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!