Recipe by winkki
Another unique but wonderfully filling soup from the New England Soup Factory - very thick and hearty! (Prep time does not include poaching chicken; this would be a great way to use leftovers!) Found online.
Top Review by Whipper
It's been a really long time since I bothered to write a review for anything here, but I just had to let everyone know how wonderful this soup is! It really stands out from the crowd, that's for sure. We especially loved the fresh dill. Very hearty and rustic. It has a taste of the "old country" to me, like an Eastern European dish. Thank you for this major keeper!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, grated
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups pearl barley
- 2 1⁄2-3 quarts chicken stock
- 3 cups chicken, poached and diced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped dill
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy stock pot.
- Saute garlic, onions, celery and carrot for 8 minutes.
- Add parsnips, barley, chicken and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Add dill and season.