Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Another unique but wonderfully filling soup from the New England Soup Factory - very thick and hearty! (Prep time does not include poaching chicken; this would be a great way to use leftovers!) Found online.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 3 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, grated
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups pearl barley
- 2 1⁄2-3 quarts chicken stock
- 3 cups chicken, poached and diced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped dill
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy stock pot.
- Saute garlic, onions, celery and carrot for 8 minutes.
- Add parsnips, barley, chicken and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Add dill and season.